meaning of dreams: dogs

In my dreams a small dog came up to me in the yard. it was lost and i tried to get its convidence to let me pick it up and then i was in somebody's home that i had no idea whose. then when i went to pick up this little dog it had a collar on it and the tag said 4th generation royalty. so I tried to find the phone and it was not hanging on the wall but i found one on the counter than i felt the pain and i looked at the dog and it was a cat. so i put it down and found the dog. then the persons home wound up being my ex husbands fathers house and he told me we were going to have to leave he had a meeting going to be at the house and the owner did not know i was going to be there. i talked to the guy that owned the dog on the phone and he wanted me to meet him but i told him i was just visiting and did not know where those streets were that he told me to meet him. then i woke up by the phone.