meaning of dream: paralyzed

I’ve had this same type of dream since I was a young boy in elementary school and I’m in my thirties now. It’s always the same and the frequency can be once a month to once a year and I’m not sure what triggers this dream. The dream starts off like this:

A low noise, like when a TV station checks off for the night, get’s louder and louder and that’s the only thing I can hear; the noise will be there for the duration of the dream. I’m always lying on my back and I feel my left arm being pulled upwards and my initial thought is to resist. My eyes are typically closed but I can think clearly, I know what’s happening and I know I’ve had this dream before and I try to figure out what to do.

My body is paralyzed but if I concentrate enough I can move my arms and body, but it’s difficult. I have only been able to open my eyes twice and each time I see the room I’m sleeping in and it seems like I’m looking through a fish bowl. Sometimes it feels like there are hundreds of hands trying to grab me as I lie there; not pulling me down but rather touching me.

Over the years I have tried to conduct different actions in my dream. I’ll let myself be pulled upward and it feels like I’m trailing someone for a short bit, but then I’m right back to the beginning of the dream, lying on my back with my left arm being pulled. I have tried to sit up and once I lose my concentration I fall backwards and tumble, but then I’m right back to the beginning of the dream.

I’ve tried to fight the dream and I’ve tried to go with it but the end result is the same, I end up at the beginning of the dream. I try to speak but I can’t, the only thing I can do is try to control my heart rate.

I’ll eventually wake up and clear my head for a few minutes then go back to sleep, if I try to go back to sleep too quickly the dream will start again. There’s really nothing scary about the meaning of dream but my heart starts to race the moment I hear the noise.