meaning of dreams

My ex boyfriend contacted me today with this dream of his, he said that he was sitting at home and that I had called him out of the blue. I told him to open the door and that I needed to talk to him. So he opened the door and we talked and he said that by the end I was crying.

Other info: The guy was my first love and we had met when I was 13 and he was 14, we were on and off for three years and he put me through so much pain with cheating, name calling, and a lot of lying and ignoring. It's been 3-4 years how we have not been together and barely talk, talk is very general, and a friend of mine constantly tells me when she reminds him of what he put me through, he tells her that he doesn't want to talk about it as though it's something that strikes him in a bad way. Another thing that comes up in my mind is that he gave me his mom's class ring 3 years ago, his mom recently passed away and I don't know if he remembers that because when I brought it up after our breakup he said he completely forgot about it.